Q: How does the rear view monitor system work?

How does the rear view monitor system work?

If your car is equipped with an auto dimming rearview mirror and a rearview camera, you have an additional tool to help make backing up safer and easier. The feed from the rearview camera is displayed on the left side of your rearview mirror. Here’s how the system works:

1. Start the engine.

2. Put the car in reverse.

3. After a brief delay, you will see a video feed showing the area behind the vehicle.

Tips

• Moving the gearshift out of reverse turns off the video feed.

• Opening the back door will turn off the video feed.

• If the system is on for more than five minutes, it will automatically turn off.

• You can only use the system when the engine is running and the transmission is in reverse. The back door must be completely closed as well.

• To temporarily disable the rearview camera, push the auto button on your rearview mirror. It will reset when you turn the engine off and back on again.