Q: How does the antilock brake system work?

How does the antilock brake system work?

Your car offers a number of advanced technologies designed to help keep you and your passengers safer on the road. The antilock braking system (ABS) is a prime example. Here’s how it works:

1. When you press the brake pedal very hard during sudden stopping, the ABS system will pulse the brakes on any wheel that is turning slower than the others. This keeps all four wheels at the same speed and helps prevent locking them up.

2. In normal driving conditions, activating the ABS requires significant force on the pedal.

3. When driving on ice, snow or in other slippery conditions, the ABS system may be easier to activate.

Tips

• The ABS system does not completely prevent you from skidding or going into an uncontrolled spin. It is a supplemental system designed to enhance safety. It does not take control of your brake system.

• Feeling a judder in the brake pedal when the ABS system activates is normal.

• The ABS system doesn’t improve braking power or reduce the distance needed to stop. It only helps prevent locking up your wheels.

3. How does the antilock brake system work?