Q: How do you open the gas cap?

How do you open the gas cap?

Your car is equipped with a locking fuel door to prevent anyone but you from removing the gas cap (for fuel siphoning). Here’s how to open the fuel door and get the gas cap off:

1. Make sure you’re stopped.

2. Roll up all the windows to prevent gas fumes from entering the car.

3. Turn the engine off and remove the key from the ignition (or turn the engine start/stop switch to off).

4. Locate the fuel door lever on the floorboard of the driver side.

5. Pull up on the lever to open the fuel door.

6. Outside the car, pull open the fuel door completely.

7. Unscrew the gas cap and place it in the holder on the back of the fuel door.

8. Fuel your car (don’t top off the tank).

9. Replace the fuel cap and turn it until it clicks.

10. Close the fuel door. Press on it to make sure it is latched securely.

Tips

• Only use unleaded gas with an octane rating of 87 or higher.

• Never use diesel as this can damage your engine.