Q: How do you check the engine oil?

How do you check the engine oil?

Keeping an eye on the fluids in your car is an important part of being a responsible vehicle owner. Your oil should be checked regularly, at least once per month, but more frequently is fine. Here’s how to do it:

1. Park flat and level.

2. Make sure the engine is at normal operating temperature.

3. Turn off the engine and wait about 15 minutes (the oil needs to drain back into the pan).

4. Engage the parking brake.

5. Open the hood.

6. Locate the dipstick and pull it out. Wipe the oil off and reinsert it.

7. Pull the dipstick back out and check the oil level. It should be in the hash marks, between the upper and lower dots. If it is below the bottom dot, add a quart.

Tip

Do not add any oil if the level is between the two dots/holes on the dipstick. This will overfill the engine.