Q: How do the side curtain air bags work?

How do the side curtain air bags work?

While your car has front and side impact air bags, it also includes two side curtain air bags. These are designed to provide protection for occupants in the front as well as in the rear. Here’s how they work:

1. During certain side impacts, one of the side impact air bags may be deployed (it depends on sensor input).

2. The side curtain air bags are located in the ceiling, and inflate downward. They extend over both the front and rear windows on each side.

3. The side curtain air bags may deploy in “angled” front-end collisions.

Tip

The side curtain air bags work with your seat belt system. They don’t replace it. Always wear your belt (and make sure your passengers are buckled up as well).

3. How do the side curtain air bags work?