Q: How do I shift to a lower gear for climbing hills or passing on the highway?

How do I shift to a lower gear for climbing hills or passing on the highway?

A: If you’re not sure how to shift your transm...

If you’re not sure how to shift your transmission to a lower gear for passing or for climbing hills, don’t worry. It’s actually really easy. Here’s what you need to do:

1. During hard driving, such as climbing a hill or passing someone on the highway where more power is needed, press the gas pedal to the floor.

2. The transmission will downshift (depending on engine speed and other criteria), giving you the boost of power needed.

3. Let off the gas pedal when you no longer need the power boost (don’t hold it for too long, or you’ll overheat the transmission).