Q: How do I operate the radio/stereo?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I operate the radio/stereo?

There are three different head units available in the vehicle. The most basic one is simply an AM/FM radio, while the most advanced can play MP3s and DVDs. Some controls are universal across all of the units:

• In the center there is a power button in the center of the main control wheel that can be used to turn the unit on and off.

• Horizontally across the unit, on both sides of the control wheel, there is a line of buttons That cover basic controls such as Seek, used to move forward in an audio track or move ahead a small amount in the radio, and ‘band’, used to switch between AM and FM.

• There is an Info button in the top left corner that can bring up information on the unit’s screen.

• Six buttons below the screen can be used to select radio presets or different settings that pop up on the screen.

• In the top right corner, there is a large knob that controls the settings for the equalizer (bass,treble). Select between setting to adjust by pressing the button on top of the knob, which has a musical note depicted on it. This control can also be used to adjust the fade (more volume in front or back) and balance (more volume on left or right).

• There is an EQ button also that can switch between preset equalizer settings that correlate to different genres of music.

In all three of the units, there is an AM/FM radio. The most basic arrangement includes a unit that only has that function. Here’s how to use it:

1. Turn the radio on and press the Band button to select either AM or FM radio.

2. The Seek buttons can be used to go forward or back in the radio frequency, seeking out only stations with clear reception. Pressing the forward Seek button down for a few seconds will put the radio in “scan” mode, which will continually skip to the next clear station every few seconds until the Seek button is pressed again.

3. The FWD and REV buttons can be used to manually tune the radio to a higher or lower frequency.

4. Make a radio preset by pressing one of the 6 buttons under the screen until there is a ‘beep’ sound.

The next level up unit has the ability to tune to XM satellite radio stations and can play audio CDs and has USB connectivity. Here is how you can use its features:

1. XM radio is a subscription service, so after the trial period is over it does require a monthly payment. The controls are the same as with the AM/FM radio, except for the CAT button that can be used to select the category of the XM station.

2. The FAV button can be used just like the preset buttons, except that pressing the FAV button can flip through whole new rows of optional presets, allowing for more variety.

3. To use the CD player, insert a CD into the slot below the screen. If the unit has a 6-disk CD player, you can press the ‘load’ button to load the disk into the CD changer. This player can also play MP3 CDs.

4. Pressing the Eject button will cause the CD to leave the player.

5. There is an 1/8th inch jack on the bottom right corner that can be used to hook up an Aux cable to run audio directly into the stereo from an outside source. Pressing the AUX button will allow this audio play through the speakers

The top level stereo has the ability to play DVDs that can show up on any screens present in the interior. It can also play music off of files from a connected device via USB.

1. When a USB storage device is connected, the controls can be used to navigate through the folders and individual music files.

2. The DVD player operates very similarly to the CD player. They can be inserted via the same slot and the controls are much the same. The only difference will come with navigating through the menus on the DVD itself.

Tip

In the vehicle’s menu, the Speed Compensated Volume feature can be activated that adjusts the stereo’s volume as the truck drives down the road.