Q: How do I keep my 72 ford ranger from stalling out while in idle? Does it deal with the carburetor, certain gas, or gas line?

How do I keep my 72 ford ranger from stalling out while in idle? Does it deal with the carburetor, certain gas, or gas line?

Hi there. Actually, all three items you listed have a hand in the idle of an early 70’s Ford engine. As a vehicle ages, some parts that are typically never replaced, like fuel lines and the fuel tank will eventually wear out or corrode; causing restrictions in the fuel flow or in the gas tank; a build up of rust and debris. This contaminates the fuel and makes it hard to burn once it is vaporized in the carburetor. If the carburetor is worn out, the fuel will not mix well and the idle can be impacted. Usually the idle in the carburetor is controlled by an idle adjustment screw. However, debris or contamination inside the carburetor will also impact the engine’s ability to idle smooth. If you have the ability to rebuild your carburetor, that is the best way to start repairing this problem. If not, you might want to contact a local mechanic to help you with this.

3. How do I keep my 72 ford ranger from stalling out while in idle? Does it deal with the carburetor, certain gas, or gas line?