Q: How do I install the top tether for a forward-facing car seat?

How do I install the top tether for a forward-facing car seat?

If your child’s forward facing car seat has a top tether, it can offer additional security and safety. Installing it is pretty simple, too. Here’s how:

1. Make sure the car seat is correctly positioned in the seat.

2. Raise and then remove the head restraint for that seating position (store it somewhere safe).

3. If the second row seat is all the way back, slide it forward one position.

4. Route the top tether of the car seat over the seatback.

5. Connect the hook to the lower anchor on the underside back of the second row seat.

6. Remove all the slack.

7. Replace the head restraint if you want (or you can leave it stored).

8. Move the second row seat to the rearmost position.

Tip

If you’re installing the car seat in the center seating position of the second row seat, there’s an upper anchor point on the ceiling behind the seat itself. Route the tether over the seat back and lock it into the upper anchor point.

3. How do I install the top tether for a forward-facing car seat?