Q: How do I adjust the cross rails?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How do I adjust the cross rails?

If your vehicle is equipped with a roof luggage carrier, it’s a convenient way to expand your cargo carrying capacity. However, you’ll need to make sure you have the cross rails positioned correctly for your load. You can slide the cross rails back and forward to accommodate different loading needs. Here’s how to do it:

1. Put the car in park and engage the emergency brake.

2. Turn the engine off.

3. Locate the lock knobs for each side of the cross rails (there are eight, two on each side of each cross rail).

4. Turn them counterclockwise to loosen them. Repeat this for the other side.

5. Slide the cross rail back or forward to the desired position.

6. Tighten the lock knobs in place.

7. Repeat these steps for the second cross rail.

Tips

• Make sure all lock knobs are tightened before driving.

• Make sure the load is balanced across both cross rails, never loaded on the roof itself.