Q: Engine shuts off while braking

Car engine was starting fine but shut off completely when I would brake at stop lights. I'd put it in neutral to start it again. Now won't turn over at all. Could this be an alternator problem, battery problem, or a starter problem?

A: If your vehicle has stalled, and will no ...

Hello.

If your vehicle has stalled, and will no longer turn over then it may possible that the alternator has failed. A faulty alternator will not be able to properly charge the battery. This will place a drain on the battery and cause the vehicle to stall when the battery becomes drained. I would recommend recharging the battery and then testing the alternator for any faults. If the engine still cranks once the battery is charged then the starter is probably okay. If you'd like some help with this, I suggest having your car looked at by a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, so they can assess your stalling issue and suggest an accurate repair from there. Good luck.