Q: How can convert my in tank fuel pump to an inline fuel pump?

I am currently restoring a 1987 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0. I am working on replacing the fuel pump, and my stepdad, who is a mechanic, was wondering if/how we could convert an in tank pump to an inline pump. I currently have dropped the tank and in the process of cleaning it out. We are 99% sure this is the main problem as to the engine not starting. Also there is a transmission swap in it from the previous owner, its not a unicorn car with a stock manual trans.

The fuel pump is designed to work correctly with the entire fuel system. You have a fuel pressure and return lines. The older Fords used an inline fuel pump that would not last very long and Ford along with every other American car maker started putting pumps in the tank since the fuel is a good cooler for the pump. i would recommend replacing the in tank pump and not try and modify the fuel system. This is for safety and longevity of the pump.

3. How can convert my in tank fuel pump to an inline fuel pump?