Q: How Are Car Mirrors Used Correctly?

How are car mirrors used correctly?

Automotive mirrors are one of the most crucial aids used in safe driving. When properly adjusted, they allow the driver to quickly see objects and other vehicles that are around you without turning your head or losing focus on your surroundings. Bearing this in mind, the driver should first select the proper seat position settings which allow comfort, good view and control of the vehicle.

Once this has been set then the interior mirror should be adjusted to give as full a view of the lanes and area behind the vehicle basically showing the entire rear glass. This should allow the driver to glance at the mirror without moving their head and allow for the main focus to remain on the lanes ahead. Reducing movement also helps to reduce distraction when driving.

The exterior mirrors should then be adjusted to an angle that is level with the vehicle, showing the lanes or area next to the car. The inside section of the mirror should be adjusted to just show the side of your vehicle to help avoid blind spots. Additional small convex mirrors can be added to the outside edge of your mirrors which will also add to your overall viewing area and help to shrink the blind spot area around your vehicle.

Some manufacturers actually use exterior mirrors which have these types of lenses built in to help as the blind spot area around your vehicle can be one of the most hazardous conditions while driving. Proper use of your mirrors will enable you to see vehicles and obstacles on the road which in turn allows for safe changes of lanes while decreasing the time your eyes are not centered on the lanes ahead.

3. How Are Car Mirrors Used Correctly?