Q: Honda Prelude 1993; Car won't start and I smell gas.

I recently been in the rebuilding process of my Honda Prelude Vtec 1993. And all of a sudden the car won't start and I smell gas. When it does start and I drive it the rpms are all over the place what could it be?

Hello. From what you are explaining it sounds like you may have a failing fuel injector. Most of the time when you have a running condition like this it is due to an issue with a fuel injector being stuck open. When an injector does not close it allows an excessive amount of fuel into the engine. I usually pull the spark plugs and see if any of them are covered with fuel. If they are then I pull the injectors and the fuel rail and pressurize it and see if there is leakage. If not then it may be a fuel regulator or a sensor problem, but those are not as common. If you are planning on having this taken care of, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the engine runs rough and smells like fuel] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-idle-is-rough-inspection

3. Honda Prelude 1993; Car won't start and I smell gas.