Q: high pitched squeal and the sound equivalent to stones rolling in a tin can (driver's side front wheel)

basically the above covers the issue - the high pitched squeal was evident when applying the brakes.

A: This sounds like a brake issue. The brake p...

This sounds like a brake issue. The brake pads have a wear indicator that will make a squeal-type of noise when the pads have been worn down. The stone rolling noise could be debris in the wheel brake area. It could also be a hub bearing failure. You should get this checked out as soon as possible to avoid any dangerous situations. A technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the squeal sound and make any repairs that are necessary.