Q: Hello, I just got a 2001 Montaro Sport and I went to get in tonight and it started squealing. What cold it be?

asked by on March 15, 2017

I just got the truck today and I got in the truck to leave and it was squealing really loud I turned it off then turned it back on or stopped for a min and started again what could it be

The noise could be the serpentine belt slipping due to age or the tensioner not holding the belt tight on the pulleys. Also an idler pulley could have a failed bearing causing the noise. Try removing the serpentine belt and starting the engine. If the noise goes away, then shut off the engine and spin all of the pulleys and see if there is any slight squeaking noise.

If there is not, then the belt could be glazed or the tensioner could be worn.

If you need further assistance with a squealing noise on the engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr