Q: Hello, I have a 2012 jeep compass with engine noise. I inspected it, and it looks to be coming from a pulley. The Crankshaft pulle

I have a ticking, or vibrating noise coming from the engine bay. I noticed a pulley near the bottom is a little wobbly, and seems to be the location of the noise. I think it is the crankshaft pulley. Is it suppose to have any wiggle in it while the engine is on? The car runs great, the only problem is the noise, and I want to Nip this in the bud before it becomes a bigger problem. I also have a slight ticking noise coming from top of the engine.

There should be no appreciable run-out on the crank pulley and if a physical inspection of the harmonic balancer reveals damage such as a broken, cracked or separated rubber bond, the balancer should be replaced. If you do have a failed balancer, don’t operate the engine because the imbalance and/or torsional forces on the crankshaft can cause damage to the crankshaft and main bearings. You can obtain an inspection/repair quote, and schedule the repair as you like, by simply visiting YourMechanic’s harmonic balancer repair service page and click on "Get a Quote". If you request this service, the responding certified mechanic will first inspect what you have and, if indicated, implement the required repairs and answer any questions that you might have. With regard to the ticking noise, that is almost undoubtedly valve train noise. A certain, minimal level of noise can occur on particular makes and models. Whoever performs the balancer inspection and repair, if required can evaluate that noise up close and let you know if it is normal or not. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hello, I have a 2012 jeep compass with engine noise. I inspected it, and it looks to be coming from a pulley. The Crankshaft pulle