Q: Having transmission problems on my car

My car transmission continues to shudder when I drive over 55 mph. In addition, my transmission does not go into reverse immediately after it has sat overnight. The car has been in the shop for over a week trying to get the problems taken care of without success. Any suggestions?

A: The shutter sounds like a problem with the ...

The shutter sounds like a problem with the torque converter, which is a very common issue with these vehicles. However, the torque converter would not cause a delay shifting into reverse.

The first thing I would do is check the transmission fluid level to ensure it’s full. If it is, suspect an internal transmission problem.

If there are any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) stored, they should be retrieved to help pinpoint the problem.

There is also a technical service bulletin (TSB) # 12-064, which may apply to your vehicle. It addresses transmission judder and hesitation by reprogramming the transmission control module (TCM) and changing the transmission fluid.

If the shop it’s at now can’t figure it out, I suggest you give the team at YourMechanic a call to diagnose your shifting issue, and recommend the best path to repair.