Q: having times when I'm stopped at a light and my Hyundai Accent Sedan 2010 loses power. Sometimes takes a while to restart.

asked by on April 21, 2017

The issues I've been having at times is when I'm stopped at a light or stop sign my car just loses power and I have to put my car back into park to restart it. At times when I try to restart it from the loss of power it doesn't always start so I have to keep attempting to turn the key back and forth to get it going. I took it into the shop thinking it was the battery or the alternator since when I lose power the battery​ and check engine indicators flash. The shop said the only issue they saw were the cables to the battery were loose so they tightened them then said I needed new struts and a transmission flush. Not sure if it's the battery, starter, alternator or the coils or something else but I'm desperate for help. Thank you.

My car has 81,719 miles.

If I interpret what you say correctly, it sounds like an electrical malfunction. I wouldn’t worry right now about the struts and transmission flush. Those are high margin sales that many of the chains push on everybody that comes in the door. I think you might have a problem in the power distribution box or the ignition switch and it is going to take a fairly skilled technician to track it down. To have that done at your convenience, you can contact Your Mechanic. They will send a technician right to your home or office to check out your Hyundai and let you know what it is going to take to fix it.