Q: Having the engine stall now, at random

My 2007 Hyundai Elantra, with almost 100,000 miles, stalls out randomly now. This usually occurs at lower speeds. I've done all of the recommended maintenance and have replaced any parts, such as spark plugs, that were worn out. I expected a relatively new car to be able to handle that. Is there some easier solution to this than having the whole engine inspected?

A car that stalls unexpectedly can be unsettling. As for your inquiry about an easy solution, the engine doesn’t need to be inspected but everything involved in getting the engine to run does. To help aid in the diagnosis, let the technician know whether the car starts right back up after stalling or if it takes a few minutes to restart. There are multiple reasons a vehicle can stall, such as failing sensors or mechanical issues. The first thing that should be done is to have the car connected to a scanner and see if there are any codes present indicating a possible fault. Unfortunately, intermittent stalling can be difficult to duplicate. Often times a technician can connect test equipment such as a fuel pressure gage or a scanner and possibly record certain data so they can come to a solution. With so many control units, sensors, and mechanical items, it is not possible to record all sensors and control units. The fault must be readily duplicated and it takes time to choose different data to watch and obtain to make a diagnosis. There are times when a solution cannot be found due to being unable to duplicate the concern. A technician might make a recommendation based on knowledge and experience to eliminate a concern. Often times, auto repair is more practice than cut and dry repair. You can always have a certified mechanic from YourMechanic diagnose your stalling engine.