Q: Grinding noise on startup on a 2001 Vauxhall Corsa

I have a 2001 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2. Sometimes on cold startup, it makes a grinding noise and sometimes it doesn't. Is this a starter motor or is it something else?

A: Most of the time it is a bad starter motor....

Most of the time it is a bad starter motor. Starter motors are cheap. Take it off, put another starter motor and hope that the noise goes away. If the noise continues, a lot of times it's the flywheel teeth that are off. When you get the old starter off, get the flashlight and look inside and if you see a flywheel teeth that are chewed up, then you need a new flywheel. You've got to pull the transmission for that. It's a huge job, so hope that it's just a starter. If you want to have the grinding noise inspected in person, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to give the car a look and determine what needs to be repaired.