Q: Getting wobbly handling on the highway

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler with 65,000 miles on the clock and the main issue I have with it is the speed wobble. You don’t think of a Jeep as being like a motorcycle, but as a motorcycle rider I recognize speed wobble when I feel it! When driving this Jeep at highway speeds, there is a distinct wobble to it that is incredibly unnerving and makes the car jump around on the road. I need to fix this, pronto! What could be the issue? The vehicle has been aligned recently.

A: A few things could be causing the wobble yo...

A few things could be causing the wobble you feel at high speeds.

The solid front suspension is susceptible to this condition, especially if aftermarket items are being used or the suspension has been modified.

The front steering can also wobble from the tires being out of balance or from rims with bends in them. The front steering damper, if equipped, could be bad and would not be able to control the wobble. There are aftermarket kits that can help eliminate the wobble if the tires and rims are not the problem.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose your car’s speed wobble and find the best solution.