Fuel shutoff switch fuel pumps switches sonic chevrolet 2...

Q: Fuel shutoff switch

asked by on February 11, 2017

Is there a inertia fuel shutoff switch on a Chevy Sonic? If so where is it located?

According to the owner’s manual for your vehicle, your "vehicle has a feature that may automatically unlock the doors, turn on the interior lamps, turn on the hazard warning flashers, and shut off the fuel system after the airbags inflate." In other words, during a severe collision, that is one which causes the air bags to inflate the fuel system may shut down. However, under normal conditions, you should not expect a cut off switch to operate. If a user accessible reset switch exists in your application, you will find it in the trunk area, the glovebox, or the passenger side engine compartment area. Typically, the switch will have an obvious red colored reset button. If you are inquiring because you suspect your fuel pump is not functioning, you can do a couple quick checks. First, if you turn the ignition key to the "on" (not start) position, listen for the characteristic, but momentary, whirring sound from the in-tank fuel pump at key "on". If no fuel pump operation is detected at key "on", check for battery voltage at the pump wire harness at key "on". If voltage is detected, the pump is probably dead. If voltage is not detected, that circuit has to be diagnosed to find the fault. If you desire that a certified mechanic repair any no start condition that you may be experiencing, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding mechanic will get it diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.