Q: Fuel problem in 1960 F-100

I have a 1960 F-100 with a fuel problem. It has a new mechanical pump but it still runs poorly. Any advice?

First, you’d want to make sure that the carburetor isn’t getting full of crud. So pull the top off of the carburetor and look inside. If it’s full of debris, even though you have a new fuel pump, you’re going to rebuild the carburetor or put the new carburetor and probably change a gas tank.

That’s a problem I see with older vehicles all the time. The problem is this--all gas tanks rust. When they rust, the rust goes through the system. Rust is composed of such fine particles that most of them will go right through your fuel filter and clog the carburetor. I’ve learned that during the years I was doing an old car overwork and I’d changed the filter and the pump and even put a new carburetor, and it kept coming back after so many weeks running poorly.

When I took the carburetor off, it was full of junk and I finally told him that we had to put the new gas tank to stop that. You may need to do the same thing.

3. Fuel problem in 1960 F-100