Q: Front differential locked on a 2001 all-wheel drive Durango R/T

I have a 2001 Durango R/T with all-wheel drive. Last week on a road trip, it started to feel like the front differential was locked when I was turning on low speeds and turns. Bends wind off on a front end with turning. Power steering system is good.

A: Typical of that age, when they are wearing ...

Typical of that age, when they are wearing and you go at low speeds, it feels like they are locked in. The transfer case assembly will just starts to wear out. The differentials and CV joints, they start to wear out, too.

I've had vehicles with less than 5,000 miles that started to do that. Front wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles aren't really made to do all the tight turns, so then you're straining the whole system. With that thing so old, I would just pull it that tight and when you do, it makes noise but it's not hurting anything. You need to rebuild the whole thing to stop it, and that is a lot of money. Have a technician, such as one from YourMechanic inspect your gears to determine what repairs are needed.