Q: Automatic transmission grinds when put in reverse

I recently(2 days ago) replaced my right rear axle bearing and installed new rear break shoes. The shop checked my rear end as well because of a thumping when I drove it. Today I noticed that when I put the car in drive it grinds through the reverse gear. My transmission is just over a year old. I upgraded from a powerglide to TH350. What could be cause of the grinding noise?

Hi there. Typically a grinding noise upon shifting is caused by a gear misalignment or the gear not fully engaging due to the wrong linkage being used. This is common with tranny swaps like you’ve described. The first thing I’d verify is that you’re using the right linkage for the different transmission you are currently using. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, it’s possible that you have an inner gear issue or a lubrication issue inside the trans that should be inspected by a transmission specialist.

3. Automatic transmission grinds when put in reverse