Q: Fan runs when car is off. Overheats when idling for a 3-minute period

asked by on October 25, 2016

Fan will stay on for a few minutes when car is off. Heat will only work when traveling at 60 mph, otherwise it blows cold. Temp gauge reads hot when car is idle for a few mins, only when temp is warmer outside. Thermostat was replaced same issues.

Thermostat Replacement $141.88 - $639.09 Get a Quote
Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hey there. This can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know, the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the overheating problem and guide you through any needed repairs.