Q: Failure to catch or switch gears, belts turning and car has power ect, but won't switch into any gears. Transmission/engine fluids are ok.

Car has been driving fine got an oil change yesterday today when leaving house at stop sign car wouldn't switch gears, it does not accelerate or reverse... seems like gears are not catching but serp belts ect spinning. Can this be flywheel issue or tranny? Wondering what to expect so I'm not robbed at mechanics

Hi there. I have seen this same concern while I was employed at a Toyota dealership. This sounds like the transmission has failed internally; most likely the internal brake band, solenoid, or valve body has failed. The transmission will ultimately have to be replaced.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not move inspection to confirm whether or not the transmission will need to be replaced.

3. Failure to catch or switch gears, belts turning and car has power ect, but won't switch into any gears. Transmission/engine fluids are ok.