Q: Exiting interstate, the accelerator pedal made grinding noise

While exiting the interstate, I pressed on the accelerator pedal and it made a grinding noise as if something was under my foot. This noise happened two different times and then my car would not go more than around 25 mph. Plus, the reverse stopped working. The thermostat was replaced two weeks ago and the check engine light will not go out. Also, the smog level is up. It has a new catalytic converter. I took it to the auto repair shop and the mechanic told me that the problem was probably the transmission. That word ‘probably’ is what bothers me since a new transmission is Very expensive and if that's not the problem... wasted money. Would you please give me your advice and what you think is the cause of this?

A: The grinding noise and the loss of reverse ...

The grinding noise and the loss of reverse gear indicates a mechanical failure in the transaxle. It may be an issues with an internal component such as the brake band in the transmission which means that a repair or overhaul may be necessary and not an entire transmission replacement. You will want to take this to a transmission shop to have this thoroughly inspected and diagnosed.