Q: Excessive oil burning - 1986 Buick Electra Station Wagon

The engine in my car was rebuilt and the positive crankcase ventilation blower was disconnected during the repair. However, after that, the car started burning oil excessively. Every 700 miles, the car burns two quarts of oil. Can this be caused by the previously done repair or is this caused by some other issue?

A: Hello. If the PCV system is not hooked up c...

Hello. If the PCV system is not hooked up correctly, this will cause excessive oil burning. This needs to be checked and repaired first. If the PCV system is working then the issue is more than likely the piston rings not sealing correctly. Depending on the number of miles you have put on the vehicle you may just need to give it some time for the rings to wear into place. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office, diagnose the issue and repair your PCV system.