Q: Engine smoked and had unpleasant odor

I heard a loud bang and thought it came from the tires. But it wasn't from the tires - it was from the engine which had smoke coming from it. When I opened the hood of my car, there was both an odor and the smoke billowing from the engine. I got back in the car and turned the engine off and the smoke stopped. Then I turned the car back on. Everything seemed normal again so I started driving. But the engine light came on after driving around 5 miles. Fortunately I was near a gas station and I pulled over thinking it was probably a leak of water. I checked and it had enough water, but I put some more anyway. The engine light stayed on. I headed home and then would go to the dealership tomorrow. However, during my way home the car turned itself off. It wouldn't start again. What caused this and what will solve the problem?

Many different things can cause a bang noise and smoke to come from the engine. The most likely issue would be an oil leak, low oil level, engine mechanical issue, or a faulty water pump. The Check Engine Light will help point a technician to the root cause of the problem. I’d suggest getting help from a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the tools and experience to diagnose your Check Engine Light and perform any repairs that are required to get your car running normally again.