Engine noise 2012 Toyota Sienna tapping noise sienna v6-...

Q: Engine noise 2012 Toyota Sienna

asked by on February 23, 2017

Had oil change done,drove home and parked 3 hrs later started up and had rapping noise almost sounds like lifters,brought back to oil place,they said every thing is fine,used correct oil and even double checked filter element.said some oil got spilt on pully,I drove 67 miles since then on highway one trip and noise still there,what did they do

Hi there - when the oil is changed, the first start-up afterward causes a real surge in oil pressure, enough so that the oil pressure relief valve is activated, and sticks open. (This is nothing the oil change people did - just happens every once in a while.) This reduces oil pressure as the system tries to bleed it off - avoids rupturing the oil filter cartridge, and can cause the lifters to rap as you noticed. The reduced engine oil pressure is not a good thing though, and damage to connecting rod bearings could occur over time. I recommend an engine inspection to check oil pressure, and if the relief valve is stuck open, performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.