Q: Engine light goes on and off

Car engine light keeps going on and then off after I drive my car for couple hours.

Usually there are two instances where we see a check engine light appear on and off as you describe the first involves the Check Engine Light coming on and staying lit. The vehicle will drive as if there is no issues. The light may turn off after several minutes, hours or days. If this is what you are experiencing with your Camry, than it is likely that there may be an intermittent EVAP leak. Usually this is caused by a bad seal in the fuel cap.

The other instance usually occurs while driving, or when the car is running and idling, and the Check Engine Light will illuminate and blink continuously. This is usually accompanied by the engine running rough, such as it does when it is misfiring. If this is what you are experiencing with your Camry, than it is likely that your car is experiencing an engine misfire. This can due to worn out spark plugs, failing ignition coils, or even plugged or leaking fuel injectors.

To be 100% sure of your vehicle’s exact problem however, I recommend having your Check Engine Light diagnosed by a certified mechanic. They will have the experience and tools needed to determine why your Check Engine Light is on and what needs to be done to correct the issue, getting your Toyota back on the road quickly and safely.

3. Engine light goes on and off