Q: Engine light - 2004 Honda Accord

My car had trouble starting there, turning the key it just wouldn't start but it was making all the noise of starting!! Took the key out then tried again and it started first go! But there's an engine light on now..

A: Assuming that the starter motor is turning ...

Assuming that the starter motor is turning the engine over at sufficient speed (RPM), if the engine doesn’t start and run, that means there is something wrong with the ignition system, the fuel system, and/or engine management sensors. It is fortuitous that your Check Engine Light (CEL) has come on because that means Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) have been set and recorded. These Codes could relate to the problem you are having. The best thing to do is have a professional download those codes and let him or her perform the diagnostic (based on the codes) to get the problem resolved. Again, the hope is that the codes are related to the starting difficulty. There is a small chance though that the codes reflect other faults and the starting problem that are not related to the Check Engine codes that will still have to be diagnosed separately. If you need to have these issues scoped out by an expert, have a certified technician from YourMechanic diagnose the hard start and Check Engine Light so that you can get your back on the road.