Q: Engine is slow and sluggish upon cranking

asked by on August 02, 2016

The other day my car died suddenly and it wouldn't even turn on. To give you details, the following are what I have (or do not have): piston movement, sparking, timing on the valves is accurate, no compression in the cylinder, and all fluid levels are good. When I try to crank the engine, it sounds slow and sluggish. I haven't yet checked the alternator, but I have charged the battery to the fullest. In my understanding, the car should start even if the battery is bad. Can you tell me what I need to do to get my car started?

Hello there, a vehicle that dies and cannot be restarted could be one of many items. The most common would be the battery, fuel pump, battery cables, starter, fuel filter, or one of many sensors. When a vehicle cranks sluggishly like this, the first thing a technician will check is to perform an load test on the battery. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your vehicle’s sluggish cranking issue and let you know what should be done next.