Q: Transmission is hard to change over after overheating due to a ruptured radiator hose.

asked by on October 31, 2016

My car overheated. had to replace upper radiator hose. Now car shakes when idling and transmission changes gears hard. Advance auto ran a check and it showed codes p0770, 0113, 0171, 0174, 0301, 0302, 0303, 0306, 0313. more concerned with the hard shifting than the codes re: possible spark plug firing issues.

Engine is shaking, pulsating or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There are 2 unrelated issues going on here. The poor idling may well reflect a blown headgasket from the overheating event you mention. This would show up as rough idling and spark plug firing issues/codes.

The harsh shifting can be the result of higher-mileage wear, or the failure of a shift solenoid. The shift solenoid adapts to your individual transmission, and your driving behavior.

For the potential blown headgasket issue, I would recommend having the engine’s shaking inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

For the transmission issue - disconnect your battery for 20+ minutes, reconnect, then drive around for 15-20 minutes as you would normally. The transmission will revert to default shift parameters, and "re-learn" shifting. If that exercise does not correct the harsh shifting, take your car to a reputable transmission shop for a thorough diagnosis.