Q: Engine is not smooth and i’m worried it’ll die

I've had minor issues here and there with my 2012 Chevy Malibu since I purchased it. The car has 40,000 miles on it now and it seems like the engine is running really rough. It just sounds wrong, especially when idling. I had a problem before with random warning lights popping up on the dashboard, and feel that I'm getting too accustomed to dealing with this car's “quirks”. Should I have it checked out?

A: Yes, you should get the vehicle checked as ...

Yes, you should get the vehicle checked as soon as possible. YourMechanic can do a diagnostic inspection since you’re past the basic warranty period. The rough running could be either an ignition, electrical, or a mechanical issue, and if neglected could cause other damage. Your problem sounds like misfiring cylinders. Knowing whether or not your check engine light is on now would assist YourMechanic in diagnosing the exact cause. You can contact YourMechanic to verify your concern, scan your systems for any codes, diagnose any codes received, and let you know how they can fix your rough running issue. There have been no recalls or technical bulletins for this issue. There have been other similar issues which turned out to be spark plugs misfiring. The only way to properly diagnose is to scan the engine for misfire codes P0300 through P0306 on 6 cylinder engines, and up to P0304 for 4 cylinder engines.