Q: Engine block cracked

The block has a crack in it and everyone is telling me it's not fixable. They're telling me I need a new engine, but I am not sure.

Your engine has a cast iron block and aluminum heads. There are ways of repairing cast iron blocks: pinning, flame-spray welding and furnace welding. However, these processes have their limitations and are time consuming. Plus, most repair shops aren’t willing to patch up a block. If you want to repair your vehicle in the most economical fashion, I suggest a remanufactured or low-mileage used motor. These options are the most reliable, too. If you’d like to have an inspection of the engine, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, would be happy to assist.

3. Engine block cracked