Q: Engine and battery light on car lost power after driving for 5 minutes

asked by on October 11, 2016

My car lost power when driving. The engine light and battery light appeared on the dash and the car smelled like burning plastic. I took this to the mechanic and got the harmonic balancer replaced but still having issues

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for writing in. This may be a result of a few different things such as a bad ground connection, a weak battery, a faulty alternator or potentially a failing voltage regulator. The harmonic balancer does not have any impact on the charging system. This can happen when the alternator fails to charge the battery properly which can be a result of a failing alternator or a failing voltage regulator. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.