Q: Emissions lamp on and won't go out.

I bought a 05 golf today 1.4 petrol and the engines emissions lamp is on permanently is this serious

Hi there. There could be numerous different things wrong with the emission system to cause the light to stay on. The engine could be running rich or lean causing the O2 sensors to register the condition. The fuel system could have an evaporative leak causing the light to stay on. Most of the time, the gasket on the gas cap could be worn causing a gross leak and the evaporative sensor is picking up the emissions leak. Check the computer for any codes so you have a location to start for diagnosing. If you need further assistance with your emission light being on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Hello. If the vehicle is running fine then most of the time the issue is not too serious. The most common cause of this light coming on is a failing or loose gas cap. If the cap does not seal then the evap system will leak and this will occur. The best place to start would be to scan the computer for codes. These codes would help diagnose what is actually happening. You should get some help from a certified mechanic to diagnose this.

3. Emissions lamp on and won't go out.