Q: Electrical Issues - 1999 Toyota RAV4

My car wasn't starting and nothing electronic would turn on in the car. not even any dash lights or the radio. I had this problem once before and took my battery out to get it tested out to be an almost new battery (I had just got the car). When I put it back in it had always started fine after that. So when this time happened I knew it wasn't the battery, so I went under the hood and messed around with the terminals. I wiggled them and attempted to tighten them (the negative connecting part did feel slightly loose, I was able to turn it on the battery terminal) and after that if started up fine. There doesn't appear to be any corrosion on the battery or terminals. Could I need new battery connecting pieces?

Hey there. It is very possible that the negative terminal end on your battery cables could be damaged. I would recommend loosening it up and removing it for further inspection. If the terminal is broken in any way it will require replacement in order to resolve this issue. I would also recommend following this wire to where it bolts up to the chassis. This is where the battery ground is located. If this bolt is loose, you can get the same symptoms as if the negative terminal were loose on the battery itself. If you continue to have problems, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose any electrical issues and ensure that the car starts up correctly.

3. Electrical Issues - 1999 Toyota RAV4