Q: Electric cooling fan problem after repairing my water pump and thermostat

Just had water pump and thermostat installed. Drove a few miles and noticed air conditioner not working. Called mechanic and he said it bring back car because maybe something not connected. Noticed water boiling as mechanic checked my car. Now I need an electric cooling fan. Could mechanic have caused this new problem?

A: The water pump and thermostat was replaced ...

The water pump and thermostat was replaced for what I can only assume was a leaking water pump. Once this work was done then the mechanic should have run the vehicle until the thermostat opens to completely fill the cooling system. After the system was filled then the engine should be run until the cooling fan comes on without the AC on and then make sure the fan works with the AC on.

The fan may have been the cause of the overheating engine in the first place and may have been misdiagnosed as a water pump and thermostat. The fan not coming on will overheat the vehicle and cause the overflow of coolant.

If you'd like another pair of eyes on this situation, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the overheating issue and help you make the necessary repairs.