Q: DSG gearbox car dropping out of gear and engine warning light is on

The engine warning light is constantly on

When driving it seems to be dropping out of gear and the P R N D S just flashes and I cannot drive the car until I restart it.

It is a Golf td gt Sport 170

Hi Nathan. Thanks for contacting us today. The check engine light will illuminate any time the ECU detects a mechanical or electrical issue. This creates a OBD-II trouble code and stores it in the ECU. In most cases, the code will provide a professional mechanic with a starting point to determine a fault, like the one you’ve described. It is quite possible that the reason your Golf is having the shifting issues is due to a damaged shift solenoid or another transmission electrical connection, so having a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an inspection is the first step in diagnosing and repairing this issue.