Q: Does the mechanic do a scan or a diagnostic? I've done the scan and received a code, just need a more thorough diagnosis

I need a full diagnostic on my truck. I've scanned and got code P0200 but I need to know which injector is misfiring

A: On a preliminary basis, if you are just cur...

On a preliminary basis, if you are just curious, you can use a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to each injector as it pulses and try to hear a difference amongst them. Also, you could probe the terminals on the solenoid coil of each injector to see if the resistance of any are out of specification (varies with temp.) Of course, you could use a scope, too, to quickly identify the cylinder(s).

If you have an injector problem, please keep in mind, the best results by far will be obtained if ALL injectors are removed and sent to a rebuilder. They will test and most importantly clean all and REPLACE the internal filters. Don't bother with aftermarket cleaners. Injectors have filters that get clogged and the only way to properly service then is on a specialized machine that cleans them typically ultrasonically. Typically the cost is around $15 or so per injector. If you have one out for service or replacement, then all of them should be serviced to eliminate future headaches. If you would like to have all of this taken care of for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the code more thoroughly and assist with correct repairs.