Q: Does Gas Go Bad?

asked by on November 23, 2015

Does gas go bad?

Gasoline, like milk, goes bad over time.

Gasoline is usually good for about 6 weeks before it starts to turn into a varnish-like substance. This varnish-y fuel is sticky and makes all of your fuel system components non-operational. If you intend to store gasoline for a longer period of time, there are some things that you can do to extend its storage life.

There are some commercially available fuel additives that stabilize gasoline for long-term storage, such as for lawn mowers and chain saws.

You can also store gasoline for an extended period of time if you fill an air-tight container and store the container in a cool, dark, dry location. Don’t forget the fuel stabilizer.

If you have a tank of bad fuel, that could lead to repairs in the hundreds of dollars, depending on whether or not the fuel has made it up to the fuel injectors. Draining the tank, replacement of components, hazardous waste fees, etc., and you can see the headache starting.

There’s an old adage that says “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” You can pay a little now to protect your vehicle, or pay a lot later to repair your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr