Q: Difficulty shifting, starting problems

I bought this car used and it ran great for a couple of months. Then, it started to develop some transmission problems. It has difficulty shifting out of first and second gear. It's like these gears get stuck. So, when I put it in drive, I have to floor the gas pedal so as to be able to shift out of second gear. I attempted to check the fluid but was unable to because it is specified that it had to be done at MB dealership. The problem is getting worse. The other day I tried to start it but it wouldn't. There wasn't any noise like it would start. The dashboard lights were on in the car. After trying to jump start it several times, it eventually started. What is causing this?

A: Hello there. It does indeed sound like some...

Hello there. It does indeed sound like something may be going on with the transmission for your 2001 Mercedes Benz CLK430. The most common causes of shifting poorly would be a low fluid level, transmission linkage, shift solenoid or a mechanical transmission fault.

Mercedes generally do not come with a transmission dipstick to check the fluid level. This dipstick is a special tool that the dealers will carry as well as european mechanics. If you need help having this looked at, a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the shifting issue and advise you on any repairs required.