Q: Difficulty getting car started

Initially, my car would start, but it was difficult. While driving, it would try to stall at a stop unless placed in neutral. When you pushed the throttle to the floor, the car was sluggish when gaining speed. I replaced the spark plugs, oil, and distributor cap. I also checked out the various systems in the car and made sure that piston one was at top dead center. Now, the car will not star. If we play around with it, we can sometimes get it to start, but it stalls soon thereafter.

Hello. If moving the distributor will sometimes get the engine started then you may have a bad distributor, or the timing may be off due to a failing timing chain. If it is worn out really bad then the timing will not be correct no matter where you put it. A mechanic would check to see if the timing is right and then check for spark. If there is no spark then the distributor is bad. If there is spark then the carburetor may need to be adjusted. To make sure that the correct repairs are made, have a mechanic inspect your starting issue and get your car back on the road.