Q: Q: Differential Noise

Hi, I recently purchased a bmw. I started hearing a whining/grinding noise coming from the car when I accelerate. It seems to be coming from the back but I am not sure. After extensive research I believe it is the differential. However I would like to know is there a possiblity that changing the oil in the differential could make the noise go away or would I have to replace the whole differential. The whining/grinding noise is very loud.

Hello. The noise you are hearing could very well be the differential. The fact it becomes worse when you accelerate is a good indication. The best way to tell is simply to do an inspection. Changing the oil regularly is the best way to prolong the lifespan of the differential. Once enough damage has been done, you will need to replace it. The noise sounds like it has significant damage. The differential wouldn’t make a grinding noise otherwise. You can drain and inspect the differential, but you should be ready to make the full repair need be. Otherwise you will waste differential fluid having to fill it up and take it to the shop. Our mechanics do make house calls if you get yourself in over your head.

3. Q: Differential Noise