Q: Died driving won't start

My Scottsdale C10 with a 305 died while I was driving. It has an Electronic Spark Contro. Now I can’t get it to start. I put in a new carburetor, fuel pump, filter and fuel is getting to the carburetor. I also put in a new capacitor and terminal block, ignition control module, rotor button, distributor cap, coil, plugs and wires and it is still not starting. The fuses under dash are good and secured tightly. There are no in-line fuses and all signs indicate there is power going to the coil. But it’s not firing. My distributor is from a 1984 model. What should I do? Do you have any ideas?

Hi there. I usually start by checking the supply voltage to the distributor and to the coil. This would tell me if they are getting the necessary power to function. If they are, then you need to see if the distributor rotor is spinning. If that is fine also, then I usually do a resistance test of the wiring to see if there is a voltage drop. That will usually tell me what the issue is. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and pinpoint what repairs are needed.