Q: Could a oil leak cause my serpentine belt to come off ?

My car has been leaking oil for a while and today while driving I was going over a bumpy road then drove over a ramp. When I wanted to turn the steering wheel was stiff and very hard to move. I looked behind me and picked up what I think is the serpentine belt. I looked infront of the Engine and it’s just covered in oil. Could the belt slipped off because of that or could it be something more serious? Thanks

Generally, an oil leak should not cause a serpentine belt to come loose, however depending on the source of the oil leak and the severity of it, it could be possible. I would suggest having the serpentine belt tensioner checked to be sure it is properly adjusted and have the oil leak checked as that may be a sign of a more serious problem that may cause much larger problems soon.

3. Could a oil leak cause my serpentine belt to come off ?